Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Radishes!!!

As if Doug did not have enough obsessions... he's now head over heels in love with radishes! He wants to grow all kinds, all shapes, all colors of 'em. I like a radish now and then, but they don't make my heart skip the way a good artichoke or red beet do. 

This week Doug and I are trying something new. Green smoothies! Doug cheats and has a side of eggs & coffee with his. But, I've been trying to stick with it atleast for breakfast. I'm not fanatical about health, but I am politically aware and that's why I don't eat meat, try to buy local & eco friendly foods. I don't like bandwagon trends or prescriptions for ever-lasting life, and I appreciate the cultural significance that food has for others and myself. Frankly, I just like tasty good food.

You probably know where I'm going with this? I'm not so much into the hype over raw food. I'm not a raw foodist, but I am very interested in alternative health and I do believe food and diet are a huge part of that. I can get on board with many of the principles behind a raw food diet, but I don't think I can afford or incorporate it into my life fully out or principle and sure taste. That's why I really like Kim Snyder's blog. She says that if you can incorporate a smoothie into your life here or there, or some raw food replacements, you are still getting the benefits and energy that whole food has. The idea is that cooked foods require much more energy to digest (the cooking process destroys alot of the enzymes necessary to digest food) than raw ones. Thus, when eating raw your body is able to break the foods down much faster, leaving you with much more energy. Nevermind all the great nutrients, enzymes and vitamins you can pack in :)

So, what's a green smoothie? Basically its any combination of greens, veggies and fruits that you like or have left over. Because Doug is selling some of his veggies we get to keep all the bad, small, abnormal, eaten up things from the garden. This week that included radishes and their greens. Which I did not know are great for eating in salads, cooked or in smoothies.

My basic recipe that even Doug will drink!

Couple handfuls of greens (this week that has included radish greens, mustard greens, bok choy)
One apple chopped
One banana
Handful of seeds or nuts
2 t of flax seeds
1/2 c orange juice
1/2c water or more if its too thick




2 comments:

  1. Just stopping by...I've enjoyed reading several of your posts and I especially love this image of radishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came across your photograph and wondered if you would allow for me to use it as the photo for an article I'm writing on radishes? It's a beautiful photo and I'm most happy to credit you for it as well as sending a link to it when it's been published. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete