Thursday, November 19, 2009

Natural Deoderant

In most issues related to health and wellness I tend to stick to the cautionary principle. For this reason, ever since I heard about the potential health risks of deodorants I stopped using them in favor of natural alternatives. In addition to the harsh chemicals in most deodorants such as aluminum and parabens which have been linked to both alzheimer's and breast cancer, they also inhibit the natural cleansing and cooling process that sweating promotes.

For many years now I've been purchasing far too expensive all-natural deoderants. I've long known the wonders of baking soda in household cleaning, I use it to make up a cleaning spray, sprinkle it on especially stinky laundry, in the bathroom for scrubbing showers and toilets, but had never considered it for cosmetic uses. My sister-in-law first recommended it to me recently for use as deoderant. I was skeptical, but gave it a try. After many uses throughout the last 6 months or so I can confidently say, it works! Even Doug uses it.

I wouldn't recommend full strength baking soda however, which is how we first used it. At full strength it can sometimes be irritating just after shaving and during heavy activity or exercise.

Here's a recipe I really like:
1/2 cup baking soda
1/4 cup cornstarch (basically a natural alternative to talc based powders)
few drops of essential oil of your choice, I like lavender

Shake this up in a small tupperware container. Moisten fingers before using, dip in the powder and rub under arms.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm... I'm not sure I can try this. I've switched to baking soda and salt for toothpaste (brush very carefully). Thanks for the how-to though, maybe I will work up the nerve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I am trying this. I am going to try and get dan on board as well.

    ReplyDelete